This was our view when we woke up. Well actually Josh and I never fell asleep. I can never sleep the first night out of my own bed. It was completely peaceful on the east side of the peak, so we laid there under the stars and listened to the cool sound of the jetstreams in the wind coming up over the peak.
Elsie, taking a much deserved break to eat some fruit snacks. She had a lot of fun and the backpacking was a nice focus for her fun, energetic personality. She did great, and it was a hard trail for a seven year old. She liked to wait for me on the trail to point out something cool or tell me [specifically] how I would die and she'd never see me again if I fell off some cliff. I don't think she asked me once to carry her pack for her. She is already talking about the next trip, hoping we can get the same dry mix cobbler we had at dinner and "Warm Chocolate Memories" brand hot chocolate. We sure created some warm memories with it, and they were chocolaty.
Chloe was always by my side so I had quite a few pics of her. I chose to upload this one and I feel pretty good about my decision. As we walked along she told me how pretty she thought the scenery was and how she was so glad we were able to come. She is always so appreciative of the good things around her. I like that. Her muscles are still pretty weak from all the treatments so she struggled to keep up with the other girls. She had a hard time especially on the steep hills, but she only asked me to help her with her pack on the flats. Considering everything she has gone through, I think she did very well. She loves to hike and see the scenery. She commandeered Josh's binoculars so she could watch the many Mt. Goats we saw on the cliffs as we hiked.
Ever wonder what it looks like at midnight at 9712 ft? Here you go. Josh, Jill, Jamie and Joni aren't always there at midnight, but the rest is pretty accurate. Unless you are looking North. Well, any direction but south including but not limited to NE and NW.
I don't have many pictures of Addie close up because she and Joni were always out front leading the way. Addie did awesome this year, carried all her own stuff and never complained about how heavy her pack was or how hard it was to climb the steep rocky trail. I think she likes the adventure. I heard her several times counseling the younger kids on how to be safe while climbing the steep hills. In this pic above they are about to pass a rattle snake in the rock without realizing it. Josh found him a few minutes later when we got to the top. Luckily, none of us woke him up.
This moutain side should be very familiar to my Fam. Growing up we spent a lot of time biking, hiking, camping and horse riding in the mountains just down to the right of the peak. Good times. In fact, it was here and only here where I rode one of my Dad's horses and didn't get bucked off. Dad had great horses, i'm just a lousy rider. This particular day is so vivid in my mind, seems like it was yesterday. I rode this horse that was probably a mare, or maybe a gelding or stallion. It was for sure one of those three. I forget the horse's name, but it had a beautiful shiny coat of brown. It might have been black though, or white or a combination of any of those three colors. Man that was a pretty horse. I'm not really sure what time of day it was, but the temperature was probably nice for riding. I'll never forget it.
Here are six of nine girls Josh and I have between us. From the left, Chloe, Jill, Joni, Elsie, Jamie and Addie. They are all great hikers and had fun singing silly songs and collecting pocket fulls of 'special' rocks. My girls love hangin out with Josh's girls. They can't get enough of them.
Sunset at the Peak.
The Josh Englands. Josh always makes trips like these adventurous and luckily everything I forgot he brought and visa versa. Though I think I forgot more than he. His girls were all troopers and characters, just like their dad.
The Jake EnglandsWe all had a fun time and the girls are already asking about where we might go next time. We're looking forward to when The Stacie's(y's) can join us when our little ones are older.
6 comments:
those pictures turned out so cool. It is so great you took them so you can redeem more good memories for our girls now that the not so good ones are hopefully (cross you fingers) are done with!
Fuuuun! Glad you found time to do that. Great bonding time with the girls!
I loved reading this Jake. You crack me up! That looks like so much fun. Those girls are such troopers. They are awesome. I am so glad you all were able to go do that. What fun memories! Hopefully they will remember it a little bit better than your horse ride.
Jake . . . you are funny! Looks like a great trip/time! I still can't quit laughing about the horse story. I had to share it with my husband and we laughed again. So FUNNY! Stacie . . . we need to get together for lunch now the kids are in school!
wasn't it 9,712?
I am super impressed!!! I couldn't get Rachel to go on a 1 mile hike today. So maybe I'll show her this blog and she'll be inspired! This is what Rich wants to do real bad. I'm so happy that Chloe was able to go!
Post a Comment