Sunday, January 18, 2009

365 trip

To celebrate the 365'th day we decided to take a family trip because it's been a while. Chloe has gotten the ok from her docs to go Skiing - if it's not a real popular resort that is busy (lots of people in lift lines, bad. Being outdoors in the clean mountain air, good.). She also has the ok to swim if the pool is not the public pool. So nice hotels or private home pools - as long as certain criteria are met. So when we asked Chloe what she wanted to do for a trip she said she wanted to take a ski trip and go to a hotel with a pool.

So we hit up the Beav here in CV first to get warmed up and then we headed up to Boise to ski some more. I know, I know, of all places why Boise. Well, several reasons. Utah resorts are always packed and kids here were out of school which made it worse. In Boise we were able to see Zach, Mal and Eliza which we rarely get to do. Also we had stayed in a nice hotel there before that was brand new and clean so we were comfortable taking Chlo there. Having booked several hotels before online that looked nice but turned out to feel eerily like a crime scene - it was important to us to know where we were taking our fam, especially Chlo. I had a few people questioning our choice for Boise to go skiing (including a Boise local), but I was actually pretty impressed with the resort up there as it was very family friendly and pretty affordable. I'd definately go there again. However, Utah does have better snow.

This is near the summit at Bogus Basin. When leaving Boise we thought it was going to be a lousy weather day, but near the summit we broke out of the couds and it was sunny and warm all day.
Unfortunately Rhen is just too small to fit into gear yet. That, and he can't walk. So Stacie decided to take him out on the town while we carved it up rather than have him last 30 minutes and then be miserable and cold. Hopefully next year we'll get them both up on skis with us because we missed them a lot. I cried on the lift once or twice. Elsie just learned how to ski on this trip and picked it up pretty fast. She struggled with turning, but once she watched me and Zach take a run down the face she suddenly seemed to know how to turn. Luckily she didn't learn how to biff it like Zach did going real fast (we didn't have our poles and he lost his balance - not his fault. Or was it? Truth be told, anyone that knows Zach knows he is an excellent skier. I had a hard time keeping up because I'm old, soft, and people kept stopping me to see if I wanted to borrow some "just for men" hair color.

Luckily for us Bogus Basin seems to have a greater night skiing following. We were able to ski most of the day with really small lift lines. The night skiers start coming up in the afternoon so it started to get busy and we had to leave - but the girls were getting tired anyway. They swam at the hotel every chance they got and as long as we would let them. Chloe still has the picc line in her arm but it didn't slow her down at all. She just threw on her blue balloon to keep the water out and turned into a fish. It was really fun to get away for a bit.

Thanks Zach and Mal for hanging out with us and hooking us up once again with some Great Harvest goodies. Nothing quite compares to the Downtown Boise Great Harvest bakery on Fairview Ave. Stop in for a free slice of bread if you're in the area. Maybe buy yourself some whole grain goodness. Thanks Rob for taking my lesson so we could get away.

Almost all the pics I have are of Elsie because Chloe and Addie just wanted to go faster. They did 2 or 3 runs per 1 that Elsie and I did. It was fun to see them skiing around together. They are a bunch of cute sisters.

5 comments:

Gram & Gramp England said...

Looks like lots of fun!
Grandma

Davis Family said...

I am glad you guys were able to get away. It looks like you had a lot of fun!

Gram & Gramp England said...

Brings back memories - only we didn't have a bakery to visit and I was the one fallng down!
dad

Megan Passey said...

Looks like you guys had a fun time! I'm so happy for Chloe and for your family that you got to get away and have such a great time!

Kelly said...

How fun!!!! I am so glad you got to go do that as a family. I think Boise sounds like an awesome trip. Wish we could have joined you! I can't remember when I went skiing last. I think those girls would be passing me up too!