Sunday, February 12, 2012

Doing Stuff Around the House

This last Saturday I finally decided to not do anything around the house, but instead actually do stuff around the house for a change. I woke up early and it looked like it was going to be a beautiful day. We've had the place for over four years now and every time I drive up our lane in the winter, I look up at this mountain behind us and think about skiing down it. I finally decided enough was enough, put on the snow shoes and started climbing. It was -12 or so when I started, but when the sun is out it always feels warmer than it is. 


Here you can see the roof of our house down among the trees if you look real close. I started walking out our drive and up the mountain and at this point was really considering not climbing all the way to the top. It was very tiring as snowshoes don't always keep you right on top of the snow, especially when you are climbing up a steep mountain side and you can't place your snow shoes flat on the surface.


The scenery was worth the climb though.
Moose was right with me the whole way, sometimes literally on my heels which increased the difficulty I had climbing the mountainside. I think he was trying to step on the tails of my snowshoes so he didn't sink into the snow. He had a little more fun once we got to the top of the ridge and it flattened out a little so he could run around more easily. The snow was really cold and perfect. Some of the best skiing I've ever had and I've skied quite a bit. Of course climbing for an hour and a half might have something to do with how much I appreciated the skiing down. I'm thinking of going back up tomorrow for another round, Maybe add the second half to my helix. Anyone want to join me?

No comments: