We had a pleasant surprise when we moved up here. There is a small ski resort in Cokeville, a town of 500. I had heard of it's existence, but from what I was told was nothing special. And honestly it's not I guess for the seasoned skier. But for the kids, the place is perfect. In a town of 500 with no real metropolitan areas within 45 minutes I figured it was probably pretty small. It is, which is what I like about it. I'd planned to take the kids up to Jackson, or down to the Beav to ski, but Chloe's school had a ski day in Cokeville and she signed me up to go with them without checking first - she knew I'd want to. And I did. It's true it's a very small mountain, and just a single 4 chair lift. But it is a fairly long lift and the runs are lengthy and gradual which is perfect for kids. Chloe loved it because the mountain was empty and she wanted to go really fast. "I like the sound and feel of the wind on my jacket when I go fast!" she says. Mileage wise it's probably further from us than Beaver was from our old house, but it seems like we get there much quicker. And it'cheap. Only drawback is it's only open on Fri-Sun each week so if I nice storm comes through on a Monday, it's not your go to resort for fresh pow.
I know it's cold and all that, but to me winter is such a pretty time of year. I love being in and around the mountains in the winter time, especially after a fresh snow when the sun comes out and the bright blue skies contrast against the white blanket of snow on the mountains. We bought a cheap older snowmobile when we moved up here and Rhen has really enjoyed riding it around. A very popular area for snowmobiling is just a half mile from our house so sometimes we'll hop on at lunch and cruise up the side of the road to the access point. Rhen really likes to go fast and hit the bumps and keeps begging me to get him his own snowmobile. Maybe in a few years.
No comments:
Post a Comment