Friday, June 10, 2011

the 411

While I was at the hospital I ran into one of Chloe's BMT doctors. She informed me that a lot of kids who take the medicine Acyclovir for an extended amount of time (which Chloe did, for two+ years) studies have shown that 6 months to a year after they have stopped taking them, they develop shingles (pretty ironic since Acyclovir is the drug to get rid of them). The doctor checked her chart and, sure enough, it is that time frame for Chloe . So that caused the shingles to break out and having a cord blood transplant, her new blood didn't realize her body already had the chicken pox, broke out when the shingles came. She had a pretty severe case I must say and that stinking infection wasn't helpful either. She got hit with three big whammies.
She feels lousy today, I can't get her to eat, the drugs make her stomach hurt and although the shingles are getting better they look like bloody scabs, so although it is getting better, it doesn't "look" better. I am hoping they don't scar. That would be another whammie, scarring on her face. Only time will tell I guess.

We would like to thank you again for all your prayers and thoughts on Chloe's behalf. We are very grateful for them and the comfort they brought to us when we were a little nervous about this crazy week we have had. I don't realize how stressed I feel until I get home, I've had a headache everyday since I got home and my body is worn out. So the prayers are much appreciated.

No comments: