
One of the fond memories of growing up in the England house was huckleberry syrup over pancakes, waffles or french toast. We used to take camping trips up to Idaho and pick buckets full. Picking huckleberries is pretty time consuming, but with 6 other siblings and my parents all working together we were able to gleen a pretty good harvest.
This last weekend we had a family reunion up in Idaho. We all picked a bunch of huckleberries just like old times, except with a bunch of grandkids helping too. There was a lot of great food, a spectacular jumping contest with Spence's "not quite mint" Honda Trail 70 and well, Josh was there. You can pretty much count on Josh to liven things up whether it's with a potato gun, a Three Little Pigs pyrotecnics performance, or seeing him walk out of the forest wearing daisy dukes and aviator glasses - I'd explain more, but there just aren't words to describe it.
Unfortunately, Stacie wasn't able to come because she had just broken her arm and being pregnant didn't feel like camping. As a result at our first meal time I realized all I brought was 4 bags of chips, some powdered doughnuts, licorice and lots of Shasta (cause what's camping without Shasta). I left all of the actual meal food at home. But, Grandma pulled through like she always does and we ate well. We missed Stacie and the Texas Englands a whole lot.
7 comments:
I read a book called "Letters from a Woman on an Elk Hunt" a few years back. She picked huckleberries. Ever since then, I have wanted to pick huckleberries--I need a location if you can divulge--it is on my bucket list! :) Sorry, Stacie, to hear about your arm! Bummer!
that Huckleberry syrup was good huh dad. That was so funny when josh put those shorts and sun glasses on.
your pal chlo
thanks for the comments Chlo. Yes the syrup was spectacular and Josh was hilarious. We need to post a photo of him don't we?
Your Pal, Dad
How did I miss all of that??? I didn't see the jumping contest OR Josh in the funny clothes and I think I was doing dishes in the trailer when Josh was telling the story. Hmmmm. I will have to pay closer attention next year.
MOM
Sounds like a heck of a camping trip. Love the menu options! I hope Stacie is okay. It is no fun at all to be prego let alone with a broken arm. Good luck!
We missed you too Stacie! I can't believe you broke your arm. What luck! Hopefully it will force you to relax, at least when Jake is around! Love ya.
Post a Comment