This post is really long and it just seemed like it needed a picture so here you go.Friday night and Saturday Stacie was gone to Twin Falls with the young women of the neighborhood for the new temple open house. She loves hanging out with them, i think it makes her feel young again. Well, younger. She's still pretty young. Although she has 4 kids which makes her seem kinda old. They seem to enjoy her company too and she might be the instigator of somewhat mischevious [yet harmless] activity, but it sounds like they all had a good time.
The girls, Rhen and I had a fun time together at home, but i always appreciate Stacie more when she is gone. Ironic because it's likely easier and less stressful for her when I am gone. In the morning we had to run in and get some xrays for Chloe. Of course they didn't have record any orders from her doc because thats the way it goes on the weekends. So we had to go back home, call the Doc and wait for the orders to be re-sent then back to the hospital for the xrays. While we waited for results we decided to head up to the mountians in the cruiser. The scenery was great, but there were tons of people up there. I missed the vacant Wyoming mountains, but enjoyed the great scenery we have in Utah right in our back yard. The kids all had fun despite the rough roads, and i brought everything but diapers for the Rhenman and he had a little too much to drink. Poor kid. I was almost prepared, but thats not the scout motto now is it?
Saturday night Chloe spiked a fever so she and I drove down to SLC for a little getaway. As we were driving I told her I was sorry we had to go again and she says, "I just wish i was just normal dad." She was sad, but didn't cry or anything. She's used to it by now and knows she needs to. She asked me all kinds of questions on the drive down, including what Grandpa does running the sleep study lab. I explained why people have to go there and she said, "boy, i'm glad i don't have that problem because I'd be so sleepy and onery."
By the time they poked a few veins to find a good one for her IV it was late and I don't think we got to bed until 2:30 or so. She is feeling ok. Just has some flu like symtoms and we're waiting for some tests to find out if her problem is a Cdif or Crypto type bug, or a more serious GVHD problem in her intestines. She has had no problem providing stool samples, but the tests take some time i guess. So we just hurry up and wait for now. She was not excited to be awakened by another poke for blood tests this morning. It's always nice to see the Russells, Godderidges or others but we wish it wasn't always here. The Russells who live just around the corner from us, are staying in a room just around the corner from us here.
We have been down here so much over the past 3 1/2 years we can't help but wonder sometimes when we will have a more normal life. Yet, every time I come here I am so grateful for how normal our life is. I hope those of you who read this don't assume we write what we do because we're looking for your pity - thats not the case at all. We're very aware of our blessings and appreciate them every day. We record things here on our blog so we can remember them later and hopefully our kids can look back at the experiences and remember what made them who they are. Since we got here Saturday I have run into several families we know who were doing well at home but are back with some serious trials. Yet they are so strong even when the outcome is uncertain. It's made me really grateful for our burdens that seem so much lighter than they could be. Cancer has a way of making you appreciate little things. For me, some of those are having one on one time with Chloe even if it is in a hospital room or my phone call from Elsie last night that went something like this:
"hey dad. I miss you cause you're down there but not here."
I miss you too els. What have you been doing?
"We played a lot and there was this guy and he hurt his brain. Aaaaah! That loud noise is Rhen crying. but it's cause he didn't eat all of his milk."
Really? what did you play?
"Nothing."
You just said you played alot?
"Nope, we just didn't do anything. Just played. Well I gotta eat some froot floops or something. Its because i'm hungry. Love you dad!"Click.
Chloe and I were watching the Olympics and Phelps mom was explaining how he had ADD when he was a kid. Chloe asked what that is so I explained. She says, "I'm pretty sure Elsie has that."
1 comment:
So after being teary reading your blog, you left me with a great laugh. Chloe and Elsie are so funny. I remember being so excited when we saw ADD construction company in the Logan parade. I knew that Jonah would have a job in the future. :) But now maybe Elsie and Jonah can be in the olympics!
Post a Comment