Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Post-Friday Day.

Pretty much just another day down here other than some open sores developing in her throat which makes it really painful to swallow. It took a little while to talk her into taking all her pills since the first one hurt real bad. As a result, the 4 mouth care treatments a day aren't met with a lot of excitement either. All she would eat today was about 3 tablespoons of Rice Krispies. I couldn't get her to try anything smoother on her throat like pudding or jello - partly because she can't taste anything these days because of the recent chemo. I guess eating loses it's luster if you can't taste anything. Good thing she is on an IV with nutrients in it. Hopefully the sores won't get too bad so she will start eating more and avoid having to get a feeding tube in her nose. However, mouth sores have been a recurring side effect for her so as much as we don't want them to... they will probably linger. Her nurse says she may not be able to taste food again for several weeks so that's not going to help with her lack of appetite either.

Chlo was a little celebrity last night. I brought down a few Make-a-Wish calendars because Stacie promised one to some of the nurses. Once one was in the hall, news spread and a bunch of nurses stopped in to congradulate the calendar girl. One of them asked Chloe to sign her Calendar on the cover and on August (her picture is on both). So Chloe signed her name on the cover, then the nurse says "will you sign August for me too?" So Chloe opened the Calendar to the 8th month and wrote "august" on her picture. Cute girl.

I think everything is incredibly awesome at home. Stacie is lovely as always and getting Addie and Elsie back on some sort of schedule just so I can mess it up when i trade her places again - it's what dads do.

Rhen grew a beard this last week. He also aquired VC funding and started some kind of social networking deal to use on those "personal computer" thingies everyone is talking about these days. Google has offered to buy it for something like 30 million dollars. I told him he should jump on that 'cause he's going through diapers like something fierce. I guess he's just not interested since his end goal was not monetary but for the benefit of humanity. Apparently he is going to pursue a career as a backcountry skier because "success is measured by how happy you are (lifestyle), not by how much you made or how big of company you built" Well said Rhen. You know, all you can do is raise your kids the best you know how - they will make their own choices. Crazy how time flies, seems like he was just born a few weeks ago. I don't even remember teaching him how to ski.

2 comments:

Stacie said...

man time does go by fast it seems like just an hour ago, I was nursing him. at a boy rhen!! (haha) must take after his dad!

Hayley said...

Thanks for the shake tip. We will try it this week I'm sure. Everytime we read your blogs we feel very humbled. I'm sure what she is going through is much worse that what we are going through. She sure sounds like a trooper.