Thursday, March 20, 2008

I'm a Momma's Boy

Yep, it's official - I'm a lot like my mom. My mom knows all kinds of interesting facts on just about everything. The reason why is if something sounds interesting to her she google's it, reads a book or drives to the place to see what the fascination is and listens to talk radio all the way there to learn more interesting things.

Spence started an NCAA bracket deal at work. I know absolutely nothing about college basketball because i just don't follow sports. Last year to fill my bracket out i chose teams alphabetically which was a lousy way to chose teams. This year I decided to chose Oral Roberts to win it all just because it sounded like a funny name for a university. They lost their game in the first round so i'm out already. As it turns out, on the chart there are numbers that indicate the teams placement and wins and losses for the season. That should have been an indication to me which teams I should select but I just never paid attention. This makes me look like a real dork for any guys reading this but I don't care. In my disappointment I googled Oral Roberts. Turns out the school was started in 1963 or so by a guy named Granville Oral Roberts who was a televangelist. Students were required to sign an honor code that they would not drink, smoke, dance, party and whatnot. Apparently Mr. Oral Roberts was kind of a big deal in Oklahoma and started a big hospital and was determined to find a cure for cancer (thanks wikipedia).

So Mom, thanks for passing on your desire to know stuff about stuff. Now everyone that reads this blog knows why a school in OK has such a strange name. When I told Spence who Oral Roberts was he says, "Dude, that was a total mom thing to do. Ten years from now you'll know everything about everything just like she does."

1 comment:

Gram & Gramp England said...

Very funny!!!(sarcasm)
Just kidding.
MOM