Wednesday, March 19, 2008

invincible

Addie is already in her teen years it seems. I thought it was just boys that think they are invincible, but maybe girls do too. Addie was just wearing a T-shirt today and was about to head out the door with no jacket on. It's not summer yet and still pretty cold in the morning. Trying to be a responsible parent I told her she needed at least a jacket if she wasn't going to wear a coat. As you might imagine, an arguement followed. And I got that look that says, 'you are sooo lame dad.' So i happened to be on the phone with Stacie at the same time (men are good at multi-tasking) and after my arguement with Ads about why she needs a jacket I said to Stac, "why do our kids think I'm an idiot?"

Elsie was nearby in the bathtub and heard me say it, so when I walked in she says "It's ok dad, I don't think your naked." Good thing cause I was fully clothed. Elsie can always make me laugh, no matter whats going on. I joke about how hyper she is - well its not really a joke, she is hyper a lot - but she sure makes life fun.

Addie was up late playing with Spence and Tal last night (I was off doing taxes which was super fun), but she was up early this morning to finish up some school work and do some reading. She's a responsible girl, really she is - why won't she wear a jacket when it's cold out? Stacie says I need to pick my battles 'cause if she gets cold she'll wear a jacket next time. I picked this battle and she leaft wearing her jacket.

When you are old Addie, and reading this archive to remember your old decrepid dad, I hope you realize that you are probably still alive because I made you wear your jacket today.

1 comment:

Gram & Gramp England said...

Brings to mind the story that my Grandma Long told me about how her mother forced her to wear these long, baggy, wool, over the knee stockings to school when she was a girl---even though Grandma didn't want to. So she finally figured out that she could get her mother off her back by putting the socks on, and then after she walked down to the road where the school wagon picked her up, she just took the socks off and hung them in the bushes until she got home from school, where she put them back on and walked up the hill to her home. Hope Addie doesn't get any bright ideas! I would have insisted also. If she gets sick she will keep you guys from going to visit Stacie and Chloe on the weekend.
MOM