Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Dads Disappoint Sometimes.

This post will either make you cry, laugh, or just be mad at me for dropping the ball. Or, all of the above.

I'm not as good as Stacie at paying attention to details I guess, and these days it just seems like its hard to keep up without Stacie at home to keep me in line. I did not realize that when I pick Elsie up from Preschool I need to check her backpack for notes. And, if I pick her up from someone else's house that so graciously picked her up from pre-school, I also need to check her backpack for notes. The other detail I didn't think about is that tomorrow is Valentines day and since she only has preschool on Mon, Wends, and Fri they were celebrating Valentines today. If I would have known about the note in the bookbag system I would have seen a note given multiple times that said something like:

"We will be celebrating Valentines day on Wends. the 13th. This will be a special day and your Child would love to have you as a guest at their party. Since it is a special party and exciting day for your child, if you cannot make it please have someone special to your child come in your place. We have 18 kids in our preschool. Please have your child prepare Valentines for them so they can share in the enjoyment of exchanging Valentines treats and cards."

I didn't see the notes. I dropped Elsie off this morning, saw a bunch of parents there and thought to myself 'that's odd, something must be going on'. But I was late and in a hurry so I said "Love ya Els, have fun!" and took off to work.

Just now Elsie was talking to Stacie and says, "All the kids had their Mommies or Daddies there but I was just by myself." She was sad. Stacie told me all about the notes, so I opened her backpack and there were several reminders in there. And as I was reading them Elsie came over with a little Valentine craft she made, handed it to me and said, "will you be my Valentine dad? I made this at preschool today." I felt really, really bad. Stacie felt bad for Elsie, but laughed at me until she just about peed her pants. Which actually isn't uncommon as some of you may know.

I'm pretty sure Friday she will come home with a note in her backpack that says,

Hey Elsie's Dad, You're Lousy!


Actually, they might stick it to her forehead so I will read it. Obviously the note in the backpack system is a little too advanced for me. I've got a lot to learn. I'm just glad she is 4 and I have many years to try and make it up to her.

2 comments:

jenny said...

Hey Jake--
DO NOT beat yourself up about this. ALL parents have this type of thing happen at least once or twice. I know it's happened to me, and I felt terrible too. BUT your only human. And considering what your family is dealing with, I'd say you are doing GREAT! It's SO obvious to anyone that reads this blog or knows you and Stace that you are WONDERFUL parents.Don't feel too bad for too long. You are a caring, loving, sweet Dad and husband!!!

Cindy England said...

Jake,
You poor soul! I have to say that I was like Stacy though - sad for Elsie but laughing like crazy at you. Once when I was going to BYU, Jeff brought Callum to school for me to take for the rest of the day. Callum was STILL in his pajamas. I looked at Jeff surprised and asked what was going on and why wasn't Callum dressed. He said, "Man, I knew I forgot something!"